Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Reno Running Scene 2011

Once again, I have not posted on here in a while.  Much as happened since the move to Reno including running some great races and runs.  Reno is a great running town with an elevation of about 4,500 feet and varied terrain for both the trail runner and road enthusiast.  In the summer, one can run in the high Sierras in and around Lake Tahoe for some killer scenery and training. When one gets pushed out of the high country, you can run in town or head east into the desert and run in the hills where precipitation is much less.  The local racing circuit is starting to pick up some momentum on the road end with plenty of trail runs during the summer in the Tahoe area.  When one gets tired of this, just head over “the hill” Sierra Mountains to Auburn, Sacramento or even the bay area for more racing.
So what have I done as far as runs and races since I have been in Reno.  The first race was way back in the spring when I did the Labor of Love 50 miler down in the Spring Mountains near Las Vegas.  This race had several ups and downs for me, mostly my own fault for not racing smart.  First off was the ridiculously fast pace that I started out at with multiple miles in the low seven minute pace and not taking on enough fuel or water.  This all caught up to me about 30 miles in and made the last portion of the race not much fun.  During the last 6 miles, it started to blow and snow, you know the huge wet flakes that stick to everything.  Between the bonk, wet snow, wind and being underdressed, this was not much fun.  Self induced so cannot complain too much. Ended up with a time in the low 8 hours, but could not move or function very well for the rest of the weekend.  Gota learn somehow!  Calico Racing has several other races that have peaked my interest, the biggest problem is the 8+ hour drive down to the Las Vegas area! Check out Calico Racing they have some interesting themed races.  Race link:  http://calicoracing.squarespace.com/labor-of-love/
Next up was the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim.  Start at the South Rim down to the bottom, up the North Rim and back. This has become quite popular and a must do for many trail runners.  If you can do a heavy (hard) 50 miler, you can do this.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RUN, the scenery is out of this world!  This is not a light undertaking and the Park Service HIGHLY discourages hike just to the river and back.  The record is something like an insane sub 8 hour round trip.  Plan a full day starting before dawn and getting back as the sun goes down.  I have a full write up that I will likely post, keep an eye out for it if this run peaks your interest.   Want to know more just run R2R2R through a search engine and you should have plenty of reading.  A must do!  Here is a link to a fellow runner’s blog of the run, even some pictures of me!  http://ilove2runraces.blogspot.com/2011/05/rim-to-rim-to-rim-scenic-run.html 
A bit of a racing break during the late spring and early summer.  This included moving the family out to Reno now that school was done for the year.  I did go over the hill to Auburn / Cool California area and run on the maze of trails along the American River.  This area is the final leg(s) of the Western States 100 trail run.  These trail runs were a great break from the cold and brown of Reno winter, since this side of the Sierras is much warmer and gets more rain.  This provides a green lush environment that after a winter in the desert, has the character of Jurassic Park.  A great break!  Went over with a group to run in, or support/train during the Cool 50K. http://www.wtc50k.com/   During the race, I was able to get in a nice 20 something mile run, shout encouragement to the participants and enjoy a nice picnic lunch afterwards.  A good day was had by all.  
In June I worked the Forest Hill aid Station and paced at WS 100.  Forest Hill is the largest aid station of this historic race and takes on a festive atmosphere.  When a runner appears, it becomes all business to ensure any and all of the runners needs are met.  I worked the aid station for most of the afternoon and then hooked up with a couple of gals that were looking for a pacer for their husband.  Marlow had attempted to complete WS two previous times, but had not succeeded.  Right after dark, I hooked up with Marlow and off we went into the night.  As a pacer it is your job to take care of or make good decisions for your runner.  After 50 plus miles of running, the ol’ CPU is not functioning at 100%!  Marlow was a good sport and ate and drank when I thought he should.  In the end we completed 100 miles within the allotted 30 hours, but even for me, it seemed like I had been on my feet a long time!  GREAT JOB MARLOW!! Enjoy the buckle!  Shower,  a huge pile of food at Ikeda Market in Auburn, and a big nap in the car on the way home and I was semi functional after being up for a full day and then some. Working the aid stations at one of these larger races, one gets to see some of the biggest names in trail running, plus meet a lot of interesting and great people.  If I do not get into WS in 2012, I will be working the aid station and pacing again.  Here is the link to the official WS 100 site.  There is a multitude of sites, blogs, youtube and other links on the net for this race.   http://www.ws100.com/home.html 
Tahoe Rim Trail race is the big trail run of the area.  One has the choice of running 50k, 50 mile or 100 miles.  All three start on the shores of Spooner lake and the course runs along the eastern side of Lake Tahoe on a portion of the Tahoe Rim Trail, a trail that rings Lake Tahoe.  Most all of the course is single track, with some short portions of closed dirt road.  Spectacular views of Tahoe and Marlette Lakes, from the open ridges near the Hobart aid station above Marlette Lake.  The entire course has impressive views to the point you would rather be looking around than down; normally not that good of a thing unless you like spending a lot of time on the ground.  The course is at elevation 6k+ or so, but the trails in general are very runable and consist mostly of rotten granite with the majority of the rocks being rounded. The Redhouse loop is a bit rough, rocky, and steep, but I did not think that it was as bad as most made it sound.  The killer hill for me was at the Diamond Peak Ski Resort at about mile 30 in the 50 mile race (and again at mile 80 for the 100 milers).   Aid station at the lodge, then the course goes up the black diamond slope to the top (bull wheel).  This “little” hill starts out fairly flat, but as you go up, the climb continues to pitch up until near the top, you swear that it is straight up!  For the upper half, most walk a bit then have to take a rest.  I think my mile split for this section was at or near 30 minutes!  I do not envy the 100 milers that have to do this climb again in the middle of the night!  This is a well run race with plenty of well stocked aid stations.  This was my second 50 miler and the purpose was to work on fueling and pacing during these longer runs.  Ended up not feeling too good after the Diamond Peak climb, but I think it may have been dehydration. Something to work on in the future.  Awards were sterling silver medallions, nicely done and something different.  Shirts this year were yellow technical from Patagonia with a modest logo, so once again, nicely done.  Finish line area had plenty of seating, food, drinks including microbrew beer and massages for the runners.  Kudos to the RD’s and this race will be in the queue for 20102.  Here is a link to the official site that also has links to photo albums.  Check it out- you will want to do it!!     http://tahoemtnmilers.org/trter/trtindex.html


Moonlight Madness 5k/10k is ran at Rancho San Rafael Park near UNR.   This is run cross country style in the park on grass and dirt trails in the late evening.  I went into this intending it to be a speed workout and signed up for the 10k.  The race started with a kids 1 mile run, fun to watch some small tikes with decent speed.  The 5 and 10k started together, but about 20 minutes late plus the weather was looking threatening with  the wind whipping up and dark storm clouds building out by Sparks.  About the time the race started, things started getting interesting since there was a grass fire on Peavine Mountain, maybe a mile away and lightning out Sparks way.   We all finely got lined up and off we went.  About a mile into the race, it started to rain- the big bloppy drops that hurt when they hit you.  As we came by the start/finish line the lead pack unknowingly veered off course (myself included) but ended up back on the course but adding maybe another tenth.   At the 5k mark, the majority of the runners peeled off and into the chute to be done and I found myself running with one other person.  By the time I had made the first loop (5k) it was starting to get dark and by about mile 4, I was wishing that I had a headlamp.   With about a mile, maybe a bit more to go I poured it on and was able to distance myself  and finished in the dark among a throng  of 5k’ers.  It took a bit to get the final results worked out.  Many of the 10k racers had “raced down” and finished just the 5K.  First time I looked at the results, I was in something like 13th place.  A bit of talking with the timer and we had things worked out.  I ended up winning the race in something like 38 minutes, a bit of a surprise for me.  Most of the fasties raced in the 5k.   Plenty of food, drink and swag including a pile of baked goods from Great Harvest.   A fun race that I would do again.
Thin Air Festival is a four day stage race in South Tahoe.  If you do all four, you end up with the marathon distance.  I could not get away for all four days, so I came up for the 10 miler on Saturday.  The course is quite a mix of roads, trails, big hills and some fast flat portions.  I ended up second place for the day with a time of 1:04.  Going into the race, I was thinking something very near 1:00. I will blame the short coming on altitude, hills and a lack of speed training.  This was a small race, but the RD was friendly and all had a good time.  Challenging, but well marked course with plenty of aid stations.  Food and drinks at the end.  If you like small races at a scenic destination, this would be a good series to do.   http://www.thinairdistancefestival.com/
Reno 5000 series is in the process of billing itself as THE race series to do in Reno.    The series consists of six or so races and a final race for those that qualify.  To qualify, one needs to run multiple races and place either overall or in your age group.  For the details, check out the web site http://www.reno5000.com/    The showcase race is the 5k but other distances are also ran including a 10k, 15k, half marathon, and a marathon relay.  Not all are done each time, the 5k and another race.   The course is pancake flat and very quick other than a couple of tight hairpin turns and is run on closed streets in South Reno near Damonte Ranch subdivision.  Overall a good course if you are looking to set a PR.  Warmed up with Suzi H. and lined up with the 5k’ers since I was told it was a mass start.  The race starts and we head down the road and make a hairpin turn and head past the start/finish.  As I go past I hear an announcement for the start of the 10K so I peel out of the crowd and make may way back to the start;  nice stride out warm-up!  The 10k group is assembled and there is something like 15 people.  Knowing that the course record is in the low 37 minute range, know that if I have a good race I can beat it.  It is a cool, bright morning- perfect for racing so I push it a bit and intend to stay well under 6 min pace.   I run the entire race by myself and end up with 36:24, a good solid performance, but as always, what could I have done if I had some competition? The never ending what if question we have after many races.   A glitch at the awards, since they had me in the 5k and I never looked closely at my bib.  A quick talk with the RD and the timing people and it was resolved.  There is a 15k on this course in a month or so that I may do as well.
Portland Marathon- Just around the corner, and with four runners in the family doing the race, it should be interesting.  My brother and his wife, who are overseas, are doing a different marathon on the same day so there will be a six pack of marathoners on Oct 9th. Should be an interesting weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great first running year (so far) for you in Reno! Now if you or me or both of us can get into Western States.

    ReplyDelete