Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Portland Marathon 2011

PORTLAND MARATHON 2011
I signed up for the Portland Marathon some time ago when I found out that my sister and parents were running it.  For 2011, running, training, and racing has been all over the board, with my goals and races jumping back and forth from trails to the road and back.  I have been racing distances from 10k to 50 miles on road and trails, so even a month or so out from this race I did not know what to expect as far as my marathon conditioning.  As I neared race day, it became apparent that I was in better shape than I expected, mostly because of the huge base I had built up over the summer getting ready for races like  the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler.  I still felt that I was a bit weak in the speed department and the sustained race-pace tempo runs were the ones that I continued to struggle with.
We had originally planned to drive up to Portland from Reno, but just a couple of weeks out it became apparent with work schedules that driving was going to become complicated so we purchased airline tickets.  In the end, a very good choice due to the first snow storm of the year hitting the Sierras less than a week before the race.   Mass transit in Portland was great.  One can fly in to PDX, catch the MAX (light rail) into downtown where we stayed at the Embassy Suites.  Race headquarters were 6-8 blocks away at the Hilton as was the race start.  Mass transit is free within down town so it is easy and cheap to get around.  There are plenty of eateries and shopping so there is no real need to travel unless you would like to see to some of the sights such as Washington Park, home of the rose gardens and the zoo.
I went over to packet pickup and the expo at the Hilton Friday night.  A good choice since the crowds were manageable and the lines short.  Also picked up three pairs of shoes from the Roadrunner return rack booth for $135 a good price since I picked up a near new pair of Nike Vomero 6 and Brooks Cascadia’s , both  $130 each retail. Rounded out the 3 with a pair of pink Lunar racers for MJ.  The night before the race, I laid out everything and  got it ready including pinning on the number, loading pockets with  gels, and attaching the chip to my shoe.  In the past, I have raced marathons in a singlet, but each time I would get all chaffed up so this time I picked a light weight technical short sleeve shirt.  This is what I do all my long training runs in so why not.  Also a billed hat and put a pair of sun glasses on my head as well.  Why I thought I might need sun glasses in Portland is beyond me, must be just force of habit from sunny Reno.  Shoes  selected were a well worn pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 12’s that I had picked up in the spring at a shoe sale.  Lighter than the Nike Vomero’s that I train in, but still provide more protection than just a pair of racing flats. I also raced for the first time in a pair of toe socks since I had done several long runs in them and they provided protection from blisters between my toes.   Overall, the selection of gear worked great, with minimal (almost none) chaffing and no blisters on my feet (the toe socks get a thumbs up from me!).  This particular pair of shoes were nearing the end of their life and my feet and legs felt it near the end of the race.
The morning of the race, I got up at 5:30, got dressed, applied a bit of body glide to suspect regions and headed down stairs for the continental breakfast that the hotel was gracious enough to provide in the lobby.  I had a small Danish, half a cup of coffee, hit the bathroom and headed up the street to the start.  I found the “A” corral after asking a couple of people  and was hanging out near the back when my sister and friend found me so we just hung out and chatted till very near the start of the race.  They were in the “B” corral, just around the corner from me.   The wheelchair racers started at about 6:58, there was just a handful, say 6-10 and the “A” group started about a minute after them.  The race started fairly quickly, and I was a bit concerned that my Garmin 405, that was linking up slowly would be ready for the start.
It was, and we actually started about a minute sooner than scheduled, no complaints here.  The countdown began 5… 4… 3.. 2.. one.. GO!  Between the downhill start and the mix of half and full marathon racers everyone got out quite quick including myself.  With the adrenalin pumping, I torched off a 6:10 first mile, more than just a bit fast, so I pulled back a bit but still were clipping the spits off faster than expected.  The course makes a loop through the down town area then heads north out into a warehouse/ industrial area.  The streets were a bit on the rough side with multiple rail track crossings, uneven manhole covers and other irregularities in the pavement, so I was spending a lot of time watching the ground.  This portion is an out and back so I was able to see the leaders blazing away up front as the made the return.  After I had made the turn and was heading back in, I was able to see several people that I knew that were heading out still and shout or wave at them.  Soon the half and full split apart and the pack thinned dramatically and I found myself running alone.  I also noticed sweat dripping rapidly off the bill of my hat- was I working that hard?  No, a light misty rain was starting to fall but I had not noticed since I was spending a lot of time looking at the ground and not up.  Soon signs for “checkpoint Charlie” at the St Johns bridge where you had to have a bib number to proceed.  This is done in an effort to prevent “bandits”, or non registered runners in the race.  Also, at multiple spots on the course, there are chip reader mats that act as electronic checkpoints to prevent shortcuts for those unscrupulous runners that just have to cheat.  The St Johns bridge approach is the only real up hill on the entire course and the climb actually is longer than I expected since it does not end until the middle of the bridge it’s self.  Down the other side and couple quick turns and steep sections, than into a residential area perched on the river bluff that overlooked a large portion of the city.  Many locals had turned out to cheer on the runners, socialize, picnic, and reports of an unofficial aid station with a beer keg!  It is always good to see non-runners supporting and having a good time at a race.  The course wound along the edge of the bluff for a while than a big downhill back into the river bottom.  The course crosses back over the river, make a loop on a off ramp then makes a bee line for the finish area.  At this point things are starting to get a bit hectic again with the two races merged back together, plenty of spectators, bands and the like.  About a mile from the finish, I am “in the zone” of just getting done, tunnel vision and all; I pass a fire station just as an engine is pulling out.  A gal running the half, steps out of the way of the engine and right into me where I just about run her over.  With about a third of a mile a 20 something comes past me, I try to with him but do not have much left and let him go and just try to pick it up for the run into the finish.  The finish is a bit odd in that there are a couple sharp corners  right at the end so you cannot see the finish line until you are about a half block away.  Finish:  stop the watch at 2:54 they wrap me in a space blanket and move me up into the restricted finish area.  I pass on the rose, and get some water and wander around waiting for my sister and others.
Overall the race went well, conditions were cool and overcast with just a touch of misty rain.  I did go out way too hard (fast),  and from the waist down I felt really beat up.  During the second half of the race the legs were heavy, sore and stiff, I just could not make them go faster.  Aerobically, it felt good and never near or at the “red line”, so aerobically, I ran within myself.  The drop in elevation of 4,500 feet Reno to near sea level Portland must have helped.    Finish area had plenty of food, but like my experience with the St Louis marathon, water was lacking.  In Portland, the tables of refreshments were almost a block long, both sides, but had only one water station right near the finish line with small cups.  I went through the first time and took several, then later, I went back and stood there and drank about five more cups as the gent behind the table refilled the cup.  After the race, I had the chills pretty good so I stood around shaking in my foil blanket.  I had a fruit popsicle since that was the only thing that remotely looked good.  I hung around the runners only finish area for a while and hooked up with Anthony from Reno who ran around a 3:03 and later my sister (3:29).
We made our way out of this area and out to the family meeting area, that was mostly a mob scene. Looked for the family for some time them decided to head back to the hotel room to find them and get a shower plus some warmer clothes.  Jumped the MAX train made the short trip back to the hotel where they were waiting for me.  The family was at the finish area and saw me finish, but we missed each other in the crowd or they left right before I came out if the runners only area.  I took a quick shower, dressed warmly and headed back to the finish area to see mom and dad finish.  Hooked back up with Steph via the cell phone and saw the parent s finish (5:18).  Another PR by 40 or so minutes. Just then the family made it back out to the finish area as they came out of the runners only area.  We all headed over to the clothes pickup area, then over to the start line for some family pictures with or finishers metals, then headed different directions for lunch and to get cleaned up.   We went and had Tai food, picked up bags from the hotel bell stand and hoped the MAX once more to say good-by to Steph and the parents.  Steph decided to drive us out the airport, with a slight delay in not being able to find the vehicle in the funky parking garage.   Made it to the airport fine, got tickets and through the PDX security in record time for me where MJ headed to Anchorage for work and I took the boys home to Reno.  By the time I made it home, it had been a huge day and I was one tired puppy.  Slept through the alarm clock the next morning, but still got everyone where they needed to be on time.   
Occupy Portland, demonstration against Wall Street was going on very near the finish area, but both groups were able to peacefully coexist for the most part, but this did add to the chaos of down town with more fencing and people than normal.
So there were four Starostkas in the Portland marathon this year, all finished with no issues.  To add to this, my brother and wife also did a marathon the same day. So a total of six family members completed a marathon on 10/9.  Not many can say that!
Now that I have done multiple “big” races, a few things that may help you to be more successful on race day.  Stay relaxed and do not stress out over stuff.  Yes, I know traveling can be stressful, but do as much homework beforehand for things like time and location of packet pickup, start location and the like. Print hard copies of reservations (hotel, airline, race registration..) that way if there is an issue, you have physical proof that it exists.  As for racing, have a good idea, or better yet, know exactly that you are going wear during the race.  Trying out new shoes on race day might end up making your feet a bloody mess.  Use what you know is going to work.  Prep for race day-pin numbers, attach chips, load pockets, then lay everything out the night BEFORE the race.  If you are like me, the brain is not fully functional at o-dark-thirty in the am.  The day before and during race day, eat, do, and wear things that you know will work - changing anything may produce a nasty surprise.  Be conservative on your food selections and activities.  That super hot curry for you prerace dinner might not work so well on race day if this type of food is something “special” or different.  Have a race plan (realistic goal(s) and know your splits or pace) but be willing to adjust goals and plans depending on race conditions or how you are feeling.  If conditions are extreme, (hot, cold, windy …) it may not be a good day to try for a PR.  I think most of the above comments are fairly basic and common sense, in that of you race much at all, you should be doing most of these even if you do not realize it.
Portland Marathon is a good, solid, well run race that would be worth doing again.  Am I going to run Portland in 2012? Doubtful; just too many other good races out there and so little time.  Enjoy and Just Run .


No comments:

Post a Comment