Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scheels Turkey Trot 10k, 2011

Like so many turkey trot races across the country, this race was held Thanksgiving morning at the Scheels store in Sparks.  This race was just a couple of weeks out from California International Marathon, so I was undecided until the last minute, but one could sign up the morning of the race.  I knew that this was one of the more popular races in the area, and packet pick up was the day before so I headed over to the store to see if I could register, but to no avail- only on-line or day of.  I had picked up a pair of flats that I intended to run CIM in, so the race was intended to be the last speed workout and a shakedown for the shoes. 
I headed over the morning of the race earlier that I normally would since I expected lines for the day of registration.  The registration table was already doing a brisk business when I arrived but it did not take too long to get a bib number, goodie bag and the “spiffy” turkey trot sweatshirts.  I hooked up with Jeff and we did a warm up.  By the time we made it back to the parking lot, substantial lines had formed for the registration and the port-o-potties.  We headed out again, made a pit stop in the bushes, and returned to the starting line to be informed that the race was going to be delayed 15 minutes to people could make it through the registration line. In the end, many did not get registered though they were allowed to run anyway.  The goal for the race was to run about 37 minutes, so quick, but not race full out.  The race started a few minutes late, though I do not think that it was the full 15 minute delay announced earlier.  At about the first mile I found myself running with Ramona Sanchez and I hung with her for a large portion of the race.  At about mile 4, Ramona started to pull away and in the end she put about 15 seconds on me.  I ended up 5th overall for the registered runners and about 10th or so with the “bandits” with a time of 36:46.  I hung around a while and talked with several people then headed home to finish getting dinner in the oven.  Several weeks later, I received a padded envelope in the mail.  It was a metal for 1st in age group.  Interesting to say the least with white turkey wings, a pearl and a red ribbon bow.  I suspect that producing different and creative designs can be a bit of a challenge.  In all, there were a bit over a thousand registered runners and I suspect another couple hundred that were not able to get registered.  Other than the hiccups with registrations and the need for more port-o-potties, this is a flat, fast course that is worthy of a PR attempt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment